Blue Eyes

edited September 2014 in General
I was just wondering if anyone has ever noticed a blue-eyed WSL show up? I am referring to pure lines not dogs bred to modern Siberian husky types. As for me I have not come across this yet myself. A couple years back I visited with a man that claimed he had pure WSL and a couple pups had either one or two blue eyes similar to that of the Siberian husky types. Just curious..

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Google "blue eyes recessive dogs". You will find breeds which are trying to eliminate these traits.

Not surprisingly, the smaller the gene-pool, the more frequently blue eyes emerge.
  • I know it is not a desired trait in Laikas but I for one think blue eyed animals are beautiful. My very first dog was a Siberian Husky when I was a young boy and he had blue eyed and was one the best natured animals that I have ever been around, not to mention an very good guard/hunting dog. I have always loved to squirrel hunt, and Laikas and Huskys are very similar in looks and actions, so much so that I decided to give the Laikas a try, so far I have not been disappointed.
  • edited September 2014
    Yes I agree and have had experience with working line (not show line) of S.Husky which has similar traits to the wsl. I have not personally seen a wsl with blue eyes and I am not advocating blue eyes in the wsl, however I was curious if this ever shows up every once in awhile in the wsl since I come across a person that said he had a couple blue eyes in his pups. Was this a rare occurrence or perhaps maybe a cross with a non pure wsl. This is why I pose my original question.
    The Seppala line of working Siberian husky has some cases of cataract issues. However in the dogs that I seen this in it was not in a blue eyed dog but rather in the brown. I find it interesting. .
  • There was a scandal on Facebook when a Mongolian posted a picture of a blue-eyed laika. He got accused of crossbreeding. Due to language-barrier, people assumed "I don't care" to mean he actually did it when he meant he valued working ability over conformation.

To be honest, for a crossbred dog to be blue-eyed, it requires both parents to carry the recessive gene. So, that mean the trait was always there. Just that the allele frequency is so low, either it doesn't come up often, breeders kept it hush to avoid the accusations of having contaminated bloodlines or it is a forbidden topic
  • edited September 2014
    The Seppala line of working Siberian husky has some cases of cataract issues. However in the dogs that I seen this in it was not in a blue eyed dog but rather in the brown. I find it interesting. .
    From what I've heard, some Seppala lines have such a narrow gene pool so that could be the cause for greater occurrences of health issues.

I have met one pure WSL pup who had a parti-eye (two colors in one eye), but I'm not sure how common that can be. An interesting thing with Blue eyed Siberian Huskies, many show breeders try to avoid breeding for blue eyes as the lighter color can affect how people see the shape of the eyes. Even with eyes the exact same shape, blue eyes appear rounder than brown eyes, so many show breeders tend to stick to brown eyes to avoid that issue.
  • Oh yea, that was one of my pups from Ike X Kilbe ... I talked to a lot of vets and such and all pretty much agreed that his eye was a birth defect and not a inherited thing.
  • Blue (glass) eyes among hunting Laikas is called "sorochina" (magpie like eye) in Russian are mentioned in oldest literature about Laikas. In Laika standards this is a fault, despite it occurs among aboriginal stock dogs. Natives and Russian hunters think this is a fault, although there is no evidence, if this detrimental for hunting. Interesting that blue eye occurs among all northern dogs, including reindeer herding and sledding dogs, even among Inuit's sled dog in North America and everywhere people consider it a deficiency, such dog is "lazy and eats much", they say. Only in America, purebred Siberian Huskies with blue eyes were made popular.