Nice Finish Spitz video

edited September 2014 in General
Dave is always sharing excellent videos. I found this one fascinating and interesting spitz video. A couple similarities I noticed between my laikas that explained some things I believed my dogs were doing: First, a few barks and my dogs would shut up and I thought the dogs were doing this because they smelled a squirrel. I thought they were trying to get the squirrel to move to locate it because it was a layup. This has happened on several occasions and I can typically tell by the bark it is not as excited and they will circle around trying to use the wind in their favor. When I heard the narrator talk about this it confirmed my thoughts. Second, is that the more you share your life with these dogs the harder they hunt for you. Watching the cabin scene with the dog and hunter is exactly what I believed to be true. Even though I have enjoyed training the pups I had for their future homes I miss time with Ivan and Kilbe. One always rides up front in the vehicle on the way to the hunt and then I put the other in the dog box in the back. On the way home I reverse what ever dog was in the box sits beside me and the other is in the box. Each dog that rides with me I either share a little of my breakfast with them or lunch upon my return. Talking to them and either telling them we are going to have a good day hunting or how we had a good hunt. Sounds crazy but I enjoy that as much as the hunt. Enjoy:

Comments

• edited September 2014
    The narrator is Angela Cavill from United Kingdom. She's responsible for maintaining the English section of the SPJ. She's a very nice person to do correspondence with and actually hunt in Finland every year. Too bad most of the American breeders don't hunt with their dogs like she does, even though we have far more grouses than Scandinavia.

I think part of the problem here in North America is the lack of mentorship. I know of one person with a Karelian Bear Dog who keep trying to coordinate with the big-game hound community for mentoring, but no one would help her. Either that or the male attitude toward female hunters. Not sure which.

This is the kind of hunt I would like to try someday, and I am envious of Neda and Rebecca in southern British Columbia because their forests are more open than the forests we have up here. But the forests here are so dense, there is no point in touting around a rifle since by the time the bird can be adequately identified, it's well within shotgun range or bow-range.

I thought it was just me last year, but after going with a few people... Even my friends with 20/10 vision (far-sightedness) can't really see deer beyond 100 yards up here in the thick bush. But they have no problem taking elks and coyotes at 500+ yards in the open areas. One of them regularly shoots coyotes at 1300 yards.

Would be nice to use my SAKO L46 .222 for something other than shooting gophers and coyotes.

To me, this is the most ethical, ecologically-friendly and most fair of the different ways to hunt birds. It's non-discriminate, it's not stressful for the game and crippling is almost non-existence. It's no different from stalking a deer.

Shooting on the wing takes advantage of the "flight or fight" instinct, and wounding is eventually inevitable and it requires having a good retriever to find them; and the dog's ability to find wounded game is not even 100% bombproof. So, I never understood why shooting a fleeing bird is ethical, while shooting a fleeing deer is not.
  • Good video! Thanks.
  • Very nice video well done. Thanks for sharing. I also liked the cabin scene at the end as my best dogs have always been the ones who I shared a good bond with.