Over break hunts

edited January 2015 in General
I hunted the dogs really hard over break and we put a lot of game on the ground. I hunted Ivan. Kilbe, and my dad's Mila.

photo IMG_0482_zpsabef8d03.jpg
photo IMG_0484_zps1e95570b.jpg
photo IMG_0527_zps0b71f4bd.jpg
photo IMG_0517_zps8d0a37ff.jpg
photo FullSizeRender_zps6c0c8a3a.jpg
photo FullSizeRender_zpsac2e918f.jpg

Comments

• Good job! Looks like you had a lot of fun over the break.
  • That is just a few pics. I try to hunt the dogs two times a day squirrel and coon. I want to know how they hold up and what kind of genetics they have. It answered a lot of questions about will the dog hunt when very tired or tough conditions. How do their feet hold up in rough terrain. It sounds harsh but I want the best Laikas I can own and will not breed sub par. These two held up exceptionally well. Neither would quit. I did not know that Kilbe had contracted Lyme disease... she started limping like she had something in her foot. I checked and found nothing and continued to hunt her. She just was not acting right and sent her to the vet to find out she had it. I hope she makes it and if possible with vet consent breed her. Any dog that refuses to quit hunting with that is a tough hunting dog.
  • Doesn't sound too harsh to me. I work my dogs pretty rough (according to some people) on just everyday (to me) hikes. A dog who couldn't keep up on a tough hike has no place hunting, which is one of the reasons why I do it.

I read about Kilbe on facebook. I really hope she pulls through, she is a fantastic Laika.
  • Running them up and down mountains is good too. I know that a friend of mine in mountain-country brag about his local Plotts being the best in the country because a lot of the bear-dogs int he low-lands can't keep up with his dogs.

I am impressed with my dog's ability to scale steep areas where people can't even go. A lot of dogs I've seen have to wear special harness to get into those tight areas.
  • Nice job hunting, glad to see that they were able to keep up. Tough feet area always great to have in a working dog, see that focus a lot in racing line huskies and I wish more people in other breeds would breed for it as it seems that some dogs have a hard time with even light walks on soft surfaces.

Sucks that Kilbe has Lyme, even if you can get the symptoms to subside she'll never be cured of it and she will always be at risk of getting flair ups. Not sure with dogs, but I've heard that women carrying Lyme are at risk of passing it on to their children during pregnancy. Not sure how accurate that is, but it seems to be something some moms to be worry about.
  • edited January 2015
    Tough feet seem like one of those things that have fallen by the wayside with the gentrification, so to speak, of a lot of activities that were once just part of everyday life. Retrievers that are so bulky they overheat on 60F days, setters with such fine hair it picks up every burr or bug or bit of snow it's exposed to, wirehaired dogs that need haircuts once a month, etc. etc. The same could be said of horses, may of which are now so chronically delicate you have to be a millionaire to own one.

I've been hiking often and had people express their distress at seeing my dogs carrying their own packs with food, water, etc. The bar is apparently pretty low for many to think you are asking too much of your canine.
  • The bar is not low they have forgotten dogs were to be a working animal and not a human, but unfortunately too many people don't believe that humans are working beings also :))
  • Keep it dpetty! The harder you hunt them, the more they like it...