My pair of Nenets Herding Laika

Since the Laika Forum is back, and a lot has changed for all of us since it was hacked, I figured I should introduce my Nenets Herding Laika: "Ruch" and "Oshka."

Here is my female "Ruch" (aka "Ru")

Here is my male "Oshka"

They were imported from seperate Nenets tribes in the Russian Tundra (the Nenets Autonomous Okrug). They're true aboriginal working Laika - their siblings and parents are working Reindeer dogs back home. Took years to find them and get them to the States. They're the first and only Nenets Herding Laika in the USA (and I think in North America).

We have been blown away by their personalities - very sweet and outgoing dogs. They're GREAT with my daughter and good with others dogs. They LOVE to bark tho, and are pretty high energy.

Something that amazes me is how little they are, and how active they are - yet they still live outside 24/7 in some of the harshest winter conditions on the planet - and they eat very little.

Comments

• They are such cool dogs.
    I’ve noticed that efficiency with my WSL as well, they eat hardly anything for their size and activity level.
  • I’ve noticed that efficiency with my WSL as well, they eat hardly anything for their size and activity level.

And drink very little water! This is something I have noticed big time since doing my crosses with Smokey. Smokey drinks a LOT of water (I have read that's an Irish Wolfhound trait). Smokey's offspring require more water than their sires do. I'm hoping I can select away from this as needing a lot of water is counterproductive to my "backcountry dog" plans.